PA Uniform Construction Code (PA UCC) Accessibility Code Update
Reversion To The 2018 IBC & 2009 ICC A117.1
October 26, 2022
Effective October 26, 2022 the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court issued a stay of enforcement of the 2021 IBC and associated referenced code documents. All projects will be reviewed to the 2018 IBC Chapter 11 & Appendix E and the 2009 ICC A117.1. Projects under construction but without final approvals will be issued a certificate of use & occupancy identifying the 2018 IBC and the 2009 ICC A117.1.
The Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry issued the below email notification on October 27, 2022:
Yesterday, the Commonwealth Court issued an opinion in Pennsylvania Builders Association v. Department of Labor and Industry, which permanently enjoined enforcement of the 2021 accessibility updates to the Uniform Construction Code. As such, effective immediately, you must cease all enforcement of the 2021 accessibility standards. Since the 2018 accessibility standards were in effect before December 25, 2021 and were unchallenged, all structures must still comply with the 2018 accessibility requirements.
Please be advised that the Court’s decision does not affect enforcement of the non-accessibility requirements of the Uniform Construction Code.
If you have questions, please contact Matthew W. Kegg | Director
PA Department of Labor & Industry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-783-6304.
2021 PA Uniform Construction Code (PA UCC) 2018 International Code Update
Effective February 14th, 2022 updated PA UCC regulations were published in the PA Bulletin enacting the 2018 International Codes.
The following 2018 International Codes have been included in the most recently updated PA UCC regulations however note that some specific sections of the codes have been further amended or modified.
- Chapter 2-10, 12-29 and 31-35 of the 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Performance Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Fire Code (Only to the extent referenced by the other ICC codes adopted)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Wildland-Urban Interface Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code (As referenced in the 2018 IBC)
To review the complete PA UCC updated regulations please reference the PA Bulletin as published February 12th, 2022.
If you have further questions on the administration and enforcement of the PA UCC in your jurisdiction please feel free to contact us.